TOPIC 1: MUSIC'S INFLUENCE -- As the textbook authors have noted: "Throughout its history, popular music has been banned by parents, school officials and even governments under the guise of protecting young people from corrupting influences." Think about your own experiences in listening to music or seeing it performed.
- Describe an instance in which you or others may have tried to "protect" someone from music's "corrupting influences," or a time when something you listened to "crossed the line" or raised the eyebrows of others.
I grew up listening to country music, so there wasn't anything to be "protected" from. As I got older and into high school my music style had changed, as I was exposed to new music. I wasn't protected per say from any kind of music. The only protecting I did with music was when my nephews were in my car, I wouldn't play songs with cussing in it. I would play "kid" friendly songs. Now with my son, I don't expose him to a lot of cussing or songs about killing or anything like that. If there is a cuss word in the song, he knows not to say it.
The on;y "corrupting influence" I have seen through music was my brother. He would listen to loud screaming angry music and he would act all tuff and angry during and after listening to music. I'm not sure if it was the music, he could of already been angry and listening to the music only intensified it.
- How did you feel about the experience?
My experience with protecting my nephews from negative music was positive because I will do anything and everything to protect them. My experience watching my brother was scary at the time because I thought that music had no influence over someones way of thinking before. As I got older listening to different music with different moods, my mind thinks different things. If I listen to a song about fighting and I'm in a good mood, I hear it as just a song. If I am in a fighting mood and listen to the same song then I may listen to the lyrics more and start to think in a fighting way.
- List your favorite music genre and your top five bands/artists. (I'll get things started here: I'm an '80s rocker who listens to way too much Rush, U2, AC/DC, Molly Hatchet, Billy Idol ... though I have seen Sarah McLachlan in Portland twice, and they were among the best shows I've seen.)
I listen to Country music a lot. My top five bands/artists right now are1. Luke Bryan
3. Reba McEntire
4. Jason Aldean
5. Rascal Flatts
TOPIC 2: CAMPUS RADIO -- A group of students is checking out the possibility of launching a radio station based at LBCC.
- What do you think of this idea? Does it seem feasible to you? WHY OR WHY NOT?
I think that it would be a good idea. I think that if the money is there then it would be feasible. I think that students know what other students are listening to so they would keep up on the best music.
- What TWO programs/formats/services would you recommend the station adopt in order to build a loyal niche audience. Be specific, give examples. (Note: Also be sure to consider programs/formats that are not being offered by the area's commercial and nonprofit radio stations.)
I think that a program to earn credits while working at the radio station, like there is working for the news paper on campus. I think there should be a semi open format. Students should be able to play the music that is the current music everyone is listening to. They of course should talk about school events and whats new with the school. I also think they should be able to talk about real topics, such as bullying in the schools. Maybe then people wouldn't feel so alone and they can listen on the radio and decide what to do for themselves.
- How would you recommend the students fund this venture? Be specific, give examples. (Hint: You'll need to get creative here, as the college is not likely to take on funding for such a project.)
Funding is always the biggest obstacle for anything like this. They would have to do fundraisers, such as put on a concert and all the money goes to the radio station. Do things like car washes, or food sales, also try to find investors.